There are 10 things I try to do every single day to keep me from getting caught in too much of a rut. Of course, not all of these things happen every day, but even one or two of them can make my world so much more beautiful and Christ centered.
#1 Read a Psalm to Gavin.
-Reading the Psalms out load is as much of a benefit to me as it is to him, and calms my spirit while enriching his.
#2 Sit on the couch to nurse him WITHOUT a computer, a book, a phone or any projects.
-This lets me look into his eyes and enjoy their deep blueness and his soft smiles. It pushes me to talk to, sing to and pray for him.
#3 Make our bed.
-Even though the bedroom is so separate from the main part of our apartment, having a bright, neat room to glimpse into every time I walk past is cheery and gives me a sense of accomplishment.
#4 Turn on quiet, Christ-Centered music.
-My iTunes mix is so very diverse, and definitely not %100 Christ-focused, so choosing an album or artist that I know is uplifting and turning it up to a volume where I can soak in each and every word is something that disciplines my mind to focus on Christ and His beauty, rather than any chaos around me.
#5 Fold any clean laundry and put it away.
-Whether it's a dryer full or 5 loads, folding the laundry into neat stacks and organizing it into drawers causes the entire house to feel more orderly, and forces me to be quiet and focused on one task.
#6 Lay on the floor with Gavin
-It gives me quality time with him on his level, and he enjoys his toys and books so much more if I get down on the floor to make them make noises, and help him up to his hands and knees, and giggle and tease him.
#7 Make something special for Quinn
While on a diet, this is hard to do, but when not dieting it's very easy. A batch of fresh bread, a bowl full of cookie dough, or even just a pot of coffee. It gets me out of my "me" focus and is a voluntary act of service that I know Christ will be pleased with.
#8 Play a Hymn
Either on the piano, or on my cello when it's out. Hymns have a special power to refocus and soothe Christians with their powerful words and beautiful melodies.
#9 Clear the dining and coffee tables.
Even with toys and mayhem on the floors, if the tables are cleared then there is a sense of order that makes the entire house feel more pleasant. I try to make sure that this, of all things, is done when Quinn walks in the door after work. I gives him a place to unload and sit down, and a meal at the table instead of the couch makes us both happier.
#10 Light a Candle
As minuscule as it is, eradicating smells of onions, dirty diapers and trash cans makes my world turn 'round. It just does.
I hope some of these can be used by you to make your world a little more beautiful!
It's nice to get a little glimpse into your world. Good thoughts! I appreciate your desire to be a godly wife and mother and doing what it takes to make it happen. May God bless you, Joanna.
ReplyDelete