Monday, October 8, 2012

Super Simple Southwest Soup (20 Minute Dinner)

I made the easiest soup ever. It took 20 minutes, start to finish, though it would have taken longer if I hadn't had pre-cooked chicken.

And it is a recipe that I WILL repeat. I promise. It's super yum with endless possible variations.

That's my favorite kind of recipe. The kind that can be different EVERY time you make it.

Here it is, folks:



Yeah. It kicks patooty.

I know. 

Here's the low down: 

Southwest Chicken Soup 

Step 1: 

Simmer together in 1 cup of chicken broth for 5 minutes: 
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic

Step 2:

Add

1 can Rotel of your desired heat.
3 cans of rinsed and drained black beans
2 cans of whole kernel corn
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1-2 cups chopped chicken
1 cup salsa

Step 3:

Simmer for 10 minutes.

Step 4:

Top with any wild variety of toppings that you want. Me, personally?  Sour cream, Monterrey jack cheese, fresh guac (made in the 10 minutes that the soup is simmering) and a sprinkling of fresh cilantro and a side of tortilla chips for scooping the black bean goodness right into my mouth.

Makes about a gallon of soup.

-------------------------


Yep. It's that easy.   Now the deciding factor with this recipe is the salsa you use. I used the Herdez medium heat that you can get at Walmart because I wanted to save my On The Border salsa for chips.  It's a decent salsa with a mild cilantro taste and a decent little Serrano kick. Make sure you use a salsa that you like, though. You don't want your whole pot of soup tasting like ketchup with chili peppers. Ew.




1 comment: