Thursday, March 13, 2008

My Nephew's Baby Shower

I got the privilege of hostessing a baby shower for my newest little nephew this winter. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed the entire process, though I did get in a bit over my head with the amount of intricate, hand made accents that I made. I ended up having my two teenage sisters come spend the night before the shower to help me finish up. I think we cut out something close to 100 tiny elephants and 40 sparrows by hand. It ended up so beautiful, but next time I'll probably go with something a little bit less detail oriented.

We had so many little pieces, from handmade toothpick toppers for the blueberry orange muffins to carefully cut out and hand written food labels for our breakfast burritos. I'm really not sure how we got it all down, now that I think back. I remember it was exhausting, but I really did want it to be something my sweet sis-in-law could be proud of.

One thing I wish I had put more time and thought into was the baby shower invitations. We ended up just doing a social network invitation because my sister in law has so many friends and relatives that move around a lot that it would have taken weeks to collect addresses for mailing out physical invites. I really did feel that that left something lacking, though. There's something so fun and official about getting an invitation in the mail and I wish I had taken the time to make it happen. Especially with our French provincial theme, invitations could have been so beauitful and unique if I had put the effort into custom designing them. Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20. Next time I'll put a little less work into tissue paper pom poms and more into making the guests feel like they're really wanted.

1 comment:

  1. We had fun helping you... Glad it was cute enough to satisfy you! ;-)
    <3

    ReplyDelete