Thursday, January 6, 2011

Making Messes or Messing Things Up...

I've realized something about my baby. That is, that he isn't yet to the mess making stage, but that that doesn't prevent him from messing things up. While he isn't yet dumping toilet bowl cleaner all over the bedroom floor, or breaking dishes, or emptying file cabinets and pantry cupboards, he does require enough time and attention to totally "mess up" my days. Dishes go unwashed, laundry unfolded, floors unvacuumed and hot meals for a tired husband go uncooked, and showers...lets just say that showers have become a luxury commodity.


But I don't say that grudgingly. I love having an excuse to sit on the floor and tickle and make ridiculous faces at him instead of standing at the table folding the five loads of laundry that we've been digging through for clean towels and underwear. I love sitting at the computer with cooing and giggling on my lap, sipping my mountain dew instead of standing over the stove picking through a greasy chicken carcass or vacuuming floors. I love laying him over my lap and piddling away at Mozart and Beethoven on my piano instead of washing piles of crusty cereal bowls with dried up milk in the bottom. (I HATE those, don't you? I'd almost rather never eat another bowl of cereal than wash those for the rest of time) 

At Mom's with my little sister, "Jeri."

My biggest problem is the Right-Nows. Right Now, he's asleep in his bed, and since the washer and dryer are running I feel productive and I'm sitting here on my lazy butt instead of folding the laundry that's already dry. Right Now was last night when he was sitting on the couch with Quinn and I was playing "Plants Vs Zombies" instead of catching up on dishes. Right Now was yesterday morning when he was happy on my lap and I should have been reading yesterday's devotion instead of checking my facebook. Right Now was Saturday afternoon when he was playing on his safety blanket and I should have been practicing cello instead of  YouTubing.


Then the other Right Nows... the ones where Right Now he's making me walk him in circles, but I'm grumbling in my spirit instead of thanking my Jesus for my cuddly, healthy, smart little person. Right Now he won't stop fussing, but won't lay down even though he's exhausted and I'm watching TV instead of singing the hymns that his heart needs in order to grow in the Lord as I hope he will. Right Now I'm tired from watching him all day and I'm sitting by my husband doing a Sudoku or playing even more Plants vs Zombies, or Bejeweled Blitz instead of reading a good book or studying any of the thousands of subjects I keep telling myself I would like to study. Right Now is 8 o'clock in the morning when I get up but he's still asleep and I log on instead of getting my Bible out and starting my day how I'm supposed to. 


1 comment:

  1. Learning to balance everything in our lives and be good mothers, great wives, awesome friends is always a juggling act. Never easy and always exhausting. You are young and vibrant- just beginning. Everything is fresh and new- what a joy it is to be in that stage. It seems like yesterday I was in that same role.it goes so quickly. They grow so fast, people leave your life and you look back and go, where did the time go.. Time is a valueable gift that has been given to us and I am grateful you share that time with some of us who are interested to read just how your wonderful family is doing. Keep up the good work- may our Lord give you strength and grace
    Angie
    Www.helpmeettosam.com

    ReplyDelete