Thursday, December 9, 2010

Bananagram

My family has, of late, been infatuated with Bananagrams. But they don't actually use the game. They use Scrabble sets so that they can have unlimited pieces. It gets pretty insane. Six people around the table wit hundreds of scrabble pieces and 200-400 points per person. It's almost impossible to keep track of, but it's ridiculously fun. My brother Josh wrote a new set of rules where everyone builds off of the same starter word...that's even crazier. 

As such, my head has been thinking in graphs for weeks. It's scary how that happens. Boggle does it to me too. And Sudoku. I dream in letters and numbers. Literally. Dream them. It gets annoying. 

-------

I keep wanting to keep a food blog, but I forget to take pictures of my cooking. I took one picture of the process of my Christmas Bark, one picture of my Apple Turnovers, and I never seem to have more than two stages captured of any single project. I'm gonna have to work on that. 

See, tonight I baked up a bunch of my Great-Great-Aunt Pearl's Sugar cookies. They're stuffed full of butter and vanilla and are absolutely delicious, but I tried a shortening based frosting to accomplish a pure white base and it tastes like... shortening. *sigh*  Frosting is about taste, firstly. I like a butter-based frosting with cream cheese or sour cream, as well as a load of almond or vanilla extract. A frosting that tastes like...well...shortening...kinda defeats the purpose of frosting a cookie. I'm looking forward to trying "Royal Icing" next week, when I've had a chance to pick up some meringue powder and icing bags.

----

Stargate SG-1 is an old habit that we've somehow rekindled in the last couple of weeks. We've started on Season 8 'cause neither of us remembered watching much of it, and it's funny how addictive it is. It's terribly cheesy (though nothing to be compared with Ben Browder and  Claudia Black's last show, Farscape, which was too cheesy to watch.) and extremely repetitive, but so very catchy and fun.   It's amazing how easy it is to watch 4 episodes straight through. It's less than a long movie, so it's justifiable. Ish. 

(Disclaimer; pilot episode has unwatchable material in it. I've only ever seen pieces of it.)


------

In the midst of a sewing project for a cousin of mine. She commissioned matching skirts for her daugher and her daughter's American Girl doll for Christmas. I finished the skirts, except the drawstrings, and I now need to make a quick run to Michael's for the material for those, since my baby boy is asleep for the night and his daddy is home to watch him.  (yes. He sleeps through the night. Every night for the last 10 weeks. Too cool, huh?)
More to come later! 

Love yas all!

-Joanna

Two young people without a thing
Say some vows and spread their wings
Settle down with just what they need
Livin on love

She dont care 'bout whats in style

She just likes the way he smiles
It takes more than marble and tile
Livin on love

Livin on love, buyin on time

Without somebody nothing aint worth a dime
Just like an old fashioned story book rhyme
Livin on love

No comments:

Post a Comment