Thursday, May 27, 2010

She can make a cherry pie, quick as a cat can wink its eye.

All week I've had Burl Ives singing "Billy Boy" running through my head. It didn't help anything when my friend, Jill, posted all about the cherry pie she had in the oven.



Still house hunting... ish. We've got aps in at two places, one that we would dearly love to rent, but we might not get, and the other that we can have if we want, but aren't sure we want. Landlords in both places are pretty darling...I think in the second house they're a little too darling. I kinda get the feeling that the wife would like to smother me and our little somebody in unsolicited love and grandmothering. I have a feeling that with 5 grandmas, this baby is gonna have enough extra love... maybe...

All that aside, the hunt is still on. Way too many questions. Do we put in our 30 day notice on Monday? Do we extrend our lease by a month? Do we move northside, or stay south? Do we give up on trying to find a house and go with the townhomes down the street from us? Do we start packing, or settle in until September or October?

I don't know. I do know that we're doing a lot of praying. I do know we need to keep praying.

--------------

Baby has decided that he likes sugar. A lot. Sugar means he goes hyper active for several hours. Generally long enough to make me nauseated and dizzy... so we're limiting sugar.

He's also growing. I think this week is a major growth time for him. My belly has been insanely tight, and I've had a whole new set of side/abdominal muscle pains. I've also slept about 12 hours a day for the last three days, and it hasn't been enough. After two or three weeks of lots of energy it feels a little depressing to be dragging again, but I figure it's just a phase and I'll be back in a couple days.

"Find the baby," as Quinn calls it, has been getting easier. There's rarely a moment when he can't feel baby's head, or knee, or butt within seconds of touching my belly. It's fun. Lots of fun.

Still debating names. Elliot is still his middle name, and we're down to two first names, I think, though we do occasionally still make up new lists to cross everything off of.
-------------------

2 weeks ago Quinn came home fried 'cause they were changing up the scripts and commision requirements again. The next day he applied for a promotion that he was told he didn't have a chance at, and a couple days later had a message that he was accepted. So, after only a week on the new scripts, he switched to an 8-5 schedule for training, which means time off the phones, then next week he goes to noon-9.

So, for the week we're tasting the "normal" schedule that people live with. Not sure I like it. He gets home as drained as ever from work, but after leaving first thing in the morning. Our evenings aren't nearly as fun and energetic as our mornings have been, so I'm looking forward to getting back to *our* normal.

One of the perks of the schedule though, was getting to go to the Wed night service at Central. Last night a darling internation student from India was being supposed to be being interviewed, but really she just talked for an hour with a few comments from the fill-in who was leading for the evening while Pastor Mike is in Orlando for his nephew's graduation. She was odd to listen to, 'cause she was so foreign, but had been in the states for 7 years and had all the isms that American college kids pick up, and almost no accent.

Her testimony was pretty incredible. Her family moved from India, where they had been born into the highest class of Hinduism, to Oman, then her Mom left the country to go to school for a year and the three siblings and their dad stayed behind. During that year, her mother met a taxi driver who spoke her language, which was enough of a comfort to her after being such a stranger and so alone, that she accepted his invitation to go with her to church. She attended for about 6 months before she went home for break. During the flight home she prayed to Christ to free her from Hinduism and let her be a Christian.

From there it was a long story of how Christ revealed Himself over and over, how the familly was persecuted by their Indian relatives, how their brother was freed from the demonical power that had held him since his mother had made a covenant with one of the Hindu gods before his birth, and etc. It was all very powerful. I found myself frustrated as the leader for the evening turned it into a lesson on being a good witness with your life, by doing small things for other people. Especially after the student spoke directly about how easy it is to become casual and relaxed in our walk with the Lord, when as a Hindu she was devoted to night and day worship and a life that showed her faith, and how often she is convicted that Christ deserves countless times the devotion and dedication, yet we fail to so much as speak His name on a daily basis.

------------
Signing out for now. Need to throw together a casserole for Quinn to take to work tomorrow. It's "food day," which I think is a disgusting concept, but his coworkers get a kick out of it. Aparantly I was raised a little on the hyper-sanitary side of things, 'cause I think it's gross to eat food that people you don't know prepared in kitchens you've never seen, after it's been sitting on a buffet being picked through by dozens of random people for several hours...

1 comment:

  1. Baby is growing what a blessing. God has truly blessed you.

    House hunting is never fun. I will be doing that myself soon. We are considering moving to the west side of Houston.(an hour from where we live now)

    Summer is in full blast here. We have been enjoying our days at the beach and pool.

    When is the baby's due date?

    Angie Sellers

    ReplyDelete