Saturday, April 10, 2010

Potassium diet. Ew.

Went to my OB appointment on Thursday and she's sending me to another dr. 'cause of my leg issues. (buckling under me, losing strength in them for 20-40 minutes at a time, so on.)  So sometime this coming week I get to see ANOTHER dr. and do ANOTHER round of tests. Ew. The OB is a HUGE stretch for me, coming from a practically dr-free life for 20 years, so this is just overwhelming and depressing on a whole new level.

Thankfully, Dr. L, who she is sending me to, is someone I have met and actually like. I went to Quinn's check up with him a couple weeks ago, which was his first since he switched insurance providers and therefore the first with this dr, and I thought Dr. L was fun, efficient and overall a likable guy. Quinn found him a little too business like, but I like it when people mind what they're supposed to mind. I think that was a special little thing the Lord did for me (having me meet Dr. L ahead of time) because I almost didn't go to the clinic with Quinn, then I almost just sat in the lobby during the appointment, and I'm not even quite sure how I ended up in the exam room...

So, anyway, talking to Mom about it, we were talking through basic deficiencies that might be causing  said issues. Calcium is not one of them, as I have a high dairy intake and take 2000 mg of calcium in a high quality supplement every night. What Mom came up with was potassium. A potassium deficiency can cause basic muscular dysfunction.

I did some googling, found a couple of lists of foods high in potassium and amounts recommended  for pregnant women, came up with the number of 3500 mg or 80-100ish mEq, and made this list of things to consume every day for four days to see if my cramps lessen and I get back to the point where I can walk more than 20 ft at a time:

-2 smoothies a day containing :
1/2 cup plain yogurt (which is a high potassium source, weirdly enough)
8 oz blueberry/pomegranate juice (found a bottle at Wally with 365 mg per 8 oz. It's nasty though. Quinn smelled it and said "dang. You could clean floors with that."  Yeah.) 
1/2 cup strawberries (to break up the taste) 

-2 bananas

-1 baked potato, skin on

-1/4 cantaloupe

-1 cup of frozen broccoli

-1 8 oz glass of milk

And it comes out to right around 100 mEq a day. I kept it high so that if I miss an item then I'll still make the recommended amount. 

The smoothies are soooo nasty and it's the juice that does it. Not sure how to disguise it...

--------------

I'm pretty used to eating this much produce on any given day, but the juice in the smoothies is making it hard. I'm used to a nice, yummy, strawberry, pineapple, orange smoothie when I make a smoothie. (probably 5 or 6 times last week)  I just downed a 16 oz glass of the filthsome blueberry/pom stuff for breakfast and I'm feeling rather nauseated. 


--------------

Didn't get around to potato pancakes yesterday morning, as it was on orchestra morning and Quinn made me promise to sleep until the last minute, so I had a boiled egg and a plum for breakfast. 

I'm gonna make them for brunch today. Yay!

--------------

Quinn stopped at RedBox last night and got Wolverine, 'cause I hadn't seen it yet. Other than seeming very long, and the retarded scene with the Blob, I very much enjoyed it. Reminded me of a debate between Aaron and I years ago when Reign of Fire came out and the first x-Men was still pretty new, and Aaron was all in love  with Matthew Mcconaughey's  build and starting to work out a lot, but I insisted that next to Jackman, Mcconaughey was a scrawny dork... Aaron and I had a LOT of debates at that stage in life.

We were some of those siblings who did absolutely everything together and adored each other, but fought 90% of the time. About everything. About each other's friends, about clothes, movies, schedules, plans, food, etc. The only thing we didn't fight about was our Jesus. It's hard to fight about Him. As soon as He comes up in any conversation it becomes so easy to be pleasant and understanding. 

He has this way of doing that to people...if they let Him. 

Thank God for Christ. 

-------------

My 5 year old baby brother got baptized on Easter morning! Story goes that he went to Mom on Saturday evening, insisting that he needed to be baptized because it was a picture of Jesus rising from the dead, so Mom told him to talk to Dad about it, so he went to Dad, and they agreed that he needed to be baptized. Sunday services the next morning, and no one thinking that Benjamin was going to be baptized until a later date, but church ended and Benjamin went running to the church crying "no! Wait! You forgot! I HAVE to be baptized TODAY!" 

So everyone waited for 40 minutes while the guys pulled a stock tank to the front yard and put a few inches of water in the bottom of it, then they all gathered round and the sweet little man was baptized. The pictures are precious. I, sadly, was not there,  but on Monday I got to talk to him about it and he was all smiles and nods and happyness. I'll post a few pics as soon as I can get them from my Mom.

I was baptized on Easter Sunday in 98. It was a huge deal to me. My brother Daniel was baptized the same day.... it's so amazing to be a part of a family that adores Christ Jesus and always puts Him first.

--------------------------

God bless and keep you all!
-Jo



Lord, You are more precious than silver.
Lord, You are more costly than gold.
Lord, You are more beautiful than diamonds,
And nothing I desire compares to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment