Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Perfect Morning

How can you describe a perfect day? The description in and of itself takes away from the beauty of the moments that fell into a melodious succession of peaceful joy, but how can one be given such a gift and not shout out what a beautiful Savior is mine?

School this semester has Quinn out the door before 9am almost every morning, and work keeps him out until almost 10 every night, (Except Thursdays, when he works an hour later) so a morning when we can relax and be together until 10:30 is kinda a big deal.

Like this morning.

I woke up around 9 am to a soft kiss on the forehead and the sounds of sparrows and mourning doves outside our bedroom window. There was a soft rain falling and the blinds were open just enough that I could see the doves perched in groups of 2 and 3 in our tree. They were ignoring the sparrows, who were flocking back and forth from the tree and the yard. I snuggled in closer to my husband and let my eyes close again. I knew it was gonna be a good day.

An hour later we were sitting in the living room munching toast and hot oatmeal. His coffee was infusing the house with it's perfume and it wasn't long before he kissed me goodbye and headed off to class for the next couple hours. I cleared the dishes from our coffee table, turned on some Scarlatti piano sonatas and snuggled up on the couch with my Bible and my sorely neglected zebra-print journal. The doves where still in the tree, our birdie was trying to keep up with Andras Schiff's talented fingers and giving herself a dry throat in the process and every cry of my heart was being heard and soothed by an Almighty God who has stooped to become my dearest and most trusted Friend. Several pages, many prayers and a couple chapters later I laid my head down and was almost instantly asleep.

I woke up to my phone ringing quite obnoxiously by my head. The cd had run out and the doves had left the tree for the day, and my Beloved was calling to tell me that he was on his way home to change for work and eat lunch.

Chili dogs were done and chocolate chip cookies were in the oven when he got home 20 minutes later. We ate, and for 15 minutes we stretched out on the couch and he played with my hair while we rested in silence. Those are some of my favorite times. It's a practice that's very normal here... just resting together. Not talking, not moving, just being.

Now there's bread kneading in my machine. I adjusted Mom's recipe to work for one 2 pound loaf instead of the five loaves she generally makes, so I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, but I'm excited to see. I've got a lovely little beef roast that I'm going to turn into a fail-proof stew as soon as I finish writing here, and a pile of apples waiting to be turned into a pie with french crumble topping for late this evening when Quinn gets off work.

Life is so good.

But what makes this a perfect day? First an foremost, the presence of God. The peace and joy and rest that there is in knowing that He is here, in the security of His embrace and the knowledge that He will continue to guide and bless just as He has for generations of those who love Him and keep His commandments.

Secondly, the comfort and pure happiness that comes from being loved and guarded by a man who I admire and trust. The overwhelming satisfaction of having him look into my eyes and tell me that he loves me. The energy and strength that courses into me when his fingers lock with mine. The aching fullness of my heart when his lips touch the back of my neck and his breath falls on my ear with the terms of endearment that are so precious to me.

Third, my beautiful world. The little bubble that I live in that's full of soft blankets and beautiful skies and inspiring music. A juicy, crisp apple, the yeasty smell of rising bread, the mild pallet of grays, browns and soft greens that paint the trees and birds and sky, the feel of a warm mug and the scent of hot tea, the poetic motion of the steam as it rises and dissipates, even the unseemly bulge at my waist that's testimony of a life yet unseen, but so beautiful.

Yes. I'm feeling sentimental and talkative, but my Jesus has overwhelmed me with Himself, and I can't help but pour some of His joy and some of the gratitude I feel into a place where someone may read it and see that our God is an awesome, wonderful, loving God.


And now, hallelujah! the rest of my days
Shall gladly be spent in promoting His praise
Who opened His bosom to pour out this sea
Of boundless salvation, of boundless salvation,
Of boundless salvation for you and for me.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a most lovely, perfect day!
    Thanks for blogging again! :)

    ReplyDelete